Who is not suitable for HRT?
Written by Abigail Walker - February 28, 2023
Who is Not Suitable for Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT)?
The decision to pursue hormone replacement therapy, or HRT, should only be made with the advice of a qualified medical professional. With that in mind, there are some people who may not be suitable candidates for this type of treatment.
- Pre-existing medical conditions: If you have any pre-existing medical conditions like diabetes, liver disease, kidney disease or heart problems, then you may not be suitable for HRT. Additionally, if you have had any kind of cancer within the last five years then it is likely that your doctor will advise against using HRT.
- Women with a family history of breast cancer: HRT has been linked to an increased risk of developing hormone-dependent cancers such as breast cancer, so women with a family history of this type of cancer are usually recommended to avoid taking HRT.
- Women who are pregnant or nursing: Taking any kinds of medications including hormones while pregnant or breastfeeding can potentially cause birth defects and other complications so it’s generally advised to avoid doing so if possible.
- Individuals on certain medications: Some types of cholesterol-lowering medications and anticoagulants can interact negatively with estrogen and progesterone which are two major components found in most forms of HRT. Therefore if you are taking either one of these types of medication it’s best to consult with your physician about whether or not hormone replacement therapy would be appropriate for you.
- People under 18 years old: As the body is still undergoing development at this stage it’s advised against starting hormone replacement therapy before the age 18 unless recommended by a doctor for specific reasons.
It's important to note that these guidelines do not necessarily mean that everyone listed above cannot use hormone replacement therapy—it all depends on the individual circumstances and any associated risks involved. It's ultimately best practice to speak with a qualified medical professional regarding hormone replacement therapy options prior to making any decisions. At HGH Treatment clinic our staff is here to answer any questions you may have related to hormone replacement therapy and provide personalized consultations tailored towards each individual patient's personal needs and goals. Contact us today to learn more!